Man hurls shoes at judge in Pakistan
Islamabad: An accused became so angry after his application for medical relief was rejected that he threw both his shoes at the judge in Pakistan`s Multan district. One shoe hit the judge on his face while the other bounced off his chest.
Murder accused Nazeer Hussain was overpowered after he threw his shoes at the judge in the Multan district court and tried to climb up to the podium and attack him.
Hussain on Monday submitted an application in the court of additional judge Mian Qasim for medical relief, claiming that his arm was hurting.
Express Tribune reported Tuesday that Judge Mian Qasim rejected Hussain`s application and told the accused that he had already been given medical relief several times.
Hussain had been complaining of pain for several days before the date of his hearing, police officials said.
"It was pretty typical behaviour for him. Every time he knew there was going to be a hearing he began to complain of pain a couple of days before that," said Dilawar Abbas, a police official.
During the hearing Hussain demanded that he should be immediately released.
"He (Hussain) said that he was a Syed and that no Syed could possibly be accused of murder," said Abbas.
The judge then said: "I couldn`t care less if you are a Syed or not. That has no basis on your case."
Hussain and Judge Qasim then had a heated exchange of words.
"The judge also abused him, he began swearing and at that point Nazeer took off both his shoes," Abbas said.
Police officials said that Hussain threw both his shoes at the judge and one hit him on the face while the other hit his chest.
"The entire court room was in a commotion as Nazeer lunged towards the judge before the police managed to apprehend him," said advocate Shehzad Khan.
An Iraqi journalist Muntadhar al-Zaidi had hurled his shoe at then US president George W Bush during a press conference in Baghdad in December 2008 and it had sparked copycat attacks across the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand