Berlin: Two German soldiers were killed
and several others were injured, some of them seriously, when
they were attacked at their outpost in northern Afghanistan by
a man wearing an Afghan army uniform.
German Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg,
who had spent two-day at the camp just a day before, told
journalists in Berlin on Saturday that it was still not clear
whether the attacker was an Afghan soldier or a Taliban
fighter wearing an army uniform.
He managed to enter the camp in the Baghlan province
unnoticed and fired indiscriminately at the soldiers, killing
two of them and seriously wounding several others. Some of the
injured are in a very critical condition, the minister said.
Yesterday`s attack on German soldiers comes at a time
of increasing casualties among the troops of the NATO-led
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan
in firing by "friendly soldiers".
Around 600 German soldiers are stationed in the camp
in the Baghlan province, which until recently was one of the
few relatively peaceful regions in the war-torn Afghanistan.
The camp was set up to launch the offensives against
the Taliban, which are trying to strengthen their presence in
One of the main supply routes of the NATO forces
linking northern Afghanistan with Kabul is passing through the
province. Five German soldiers lost their lives in the Baghlan
province last year in Taliban attacks and in combat
Three of them were killed in April, 2010 when a
roadside bomb exploded near a German convoy on the highway
linking northern Afghanistan and Kabul.
The German camp in the Baghlan province recently hit
the headlines following the death of a German soldier in an
accidental shooting by a comrade. It is still unclear exactly
what had happened and German authorities are still
investigating the incident.
It was one of a series of incidents involving the
German armed forces, which caused mounting criticism by the
opposition parties of the information policy of the Defence
Ministry and the armed forces.