Many terror bids averted during Eid in Pak: Malik
Islamabad: Suspending mobile phone services in sensitive areas of Pakistan during the Eid has averted many terrorism attempts, Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said.
Malik said the government had concrete evidence about the presence of the Taliban in Karachi and action was being taken against them. He said it was also known that Maulana Fazlullah and Maulvi Faqir were operating from the Kunar province of Afghanistan, reports The News.
"It would not have been possible for them to carry out attacks on this side of the border, kill our people and take back their own injured without active foreign support," Malik said.
According to Malik, the government had definite information about a conspiracy hatched to destabilise the country but the designs of the enemies were foiled through effective coordination among the intelligence and law enforcing agencies.
Malik also clarified that the government had no intention of blocking all unregistered SIM cards immediately as it would cause inconvenience to users and also affect revenue. He said a meeting of all the stakeholders had been convened next week to firm up the strategy on how to deal with the issue of SIM cards issued against fake identity cards.
Malik proposed that SIM cards should be verified with thumb impressions of the applicants through the NADRA database.
He added that the issue of SIM cards would be resolved keeping in view foreign investment and interests of the cellular operators. He, however, vowed that a mechanism would be devised to ensure that mobile phones were not used as a tool for terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark