Maoist nominee sworn-in as chief of Nepal`s anti-graft body
Kathmandu: Maoist nominee Lokman Singh Karki was today sworn in as the chief of Nepal`s anti-graft body, despite strong objections from various quarters including political parties and civil society members who cited his controversial image.
Acting Chief Justice Damodar Prasad Sharma administered oath of office and secrecy to Karki as chief commissioner of the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) at the presence of President Ram Baran Yadav.
There was widespread protests in different parts of Kathmandu for the last three days against the appointment of Karki, a former Chief Secretary, as the CIAA chief.
Karki, the Maoist nominee for the key post, is known for his close links with deposed King Gyanendra and is also seen as corrupt. His name has also been associated with the suppression of the Peoples Movement of 2006.
"It is inappropriate to appoint a person with controversial image to an important and very sensitive institution like CIAA," CPN-UML General Secretary Ishwor Pokharel said in a letter to the President yesterday.
Student unions aligned with various political parties on yesterday and today staged chakkajam in front of all government campuses here, demanding the decision to appoint Karki as the chief of the anti-graft body be revoked.
The swearing ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan was delayed following the protests. The police detained at least half a dozen civil society leaders, human rights activists and journalists outside the main gate of Rastrapati Bhawan.
Kayo Devi Yemi, sister-in-law of Maoist Vice-chairman Baburam Bhattarai, and Bhanu Prasad Acharya were also administered oath of office along with Karki for the posts of chief of Public Service Commission and chief of Auditors General`s Offices respectively.
Karki`s name was proposed for the important post by the Council of Minister at the recommendation of the High Level Political Mechanism.
Nepal Students Union, affiliated to Nepali Congress, All Nepal National Free Students Union, affiliated to CPN-UML, and All Nepal National Independent Students Union-Revolutionary, aligned with CPN-Maoist, enforced the Chakkajam.
Yesterday, during a meeting of four major political parties and Chairman of the Interim Election Government Khil Raj Regmi, Nepali Congress President Sushil Koirala and UML Chairman Jhala Nath Khanal asked Regmi to review the decision to appoint Karki as the head of CIAA.
UCPN (Maoist), however, stood by the nomination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow