Maoists asks Nepal Govt to announce poll date amid protests
Kathmandu: The Maoist party of Nepal today said that an atmosphere conducive for conducting elections in the country would be created once the poll date is announced, amid calls by fringe parties to boycott the process.
The Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (UCPN-M) spokesperson Agni Prasad Sapkota stressed on the need to announce election date at the earliest, at a meeting at the party headquarters on Sunday.
"Political parties have begun concentrating on elections, distribution of voter identity card and the registration of parties at the election commission. But, the election date is yet to be announced," said Sapkota.
The former Communication Minister said that his party chairman Prachanda has initiated talks with different political parties, including the dissenting CPN-Maoist, a breakaway faction of UCPN-M and Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum Nepal, to bring them on board the political process.
Sapkota claimed that those who avoid the election would be sidelined in the political history of the country.
Political parties have tentatively agreed to conduct the elections in November. Meanwhile, a group of fringe parties led by CPN-Maoist has announced a two-week long nationwide protests starting from May 15 as they rejected offers to talk with the government, the president and the High Level Political Committee, a body formed by the four major parties to guide the election government.
In a meeting yesterday, they decided to further intensify the protests and appeal to boycott polls to be conducted under the Chief Justice of Nepal Khil Raj Regmi-led election government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in