Maoists asks Nepal Govt to announce poll date amid protests
Kathmandu: The Maoist party of Nepal today said that an atmosphere conducive for conducting elections in the country would be created once the poll date is announced, amid calls by fringe parties to boycott the process.
The Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (UCPN-M) spokesperson Agni Prasad Sapkota stressed on the need to announce election date at the earliest, at a meeting at the party headquarters on Sunday.
"Political parties have begun concentrating on elections, distribution of voter identity card and the registration of parties at the election commission. But, the election date is yet to be announced," said Sapkota.
The former Communication Minister said that his party chairman Prachanda has initiated talks with different political parties, including the dissenting CPN-Maoist, a breakaway faction of UCPN-M and Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum Nepal, to bring them on board the political process.
Sapkota claimed that those who avoid the election would be sidelined in the political history of the country.
Political parties have tentatively agreed to conduct the elections in November. Meanwhile, a group of fringe parties led by CPN-Maoist has announced a two-week long nationwide protests starting from May 15 as they rejected offers to talk with the government, the president and the High Level Political Committee, a body formed by the four major parties to guide the election government.
In a meeting yesterday, they decided to further intensify the protests and appeal to boycott polls to be conducted under the Chief Justice of Nepal Khil Raj Regmi-led election government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you