Maoists block major high ways connecting Kathmandu
Kathmandu: Intensifying their stir, Maoist
cadres on Tuesday cut-off road access to the Nepalese capital by blocking all highways leading to it, as part of the second phase of their protest to establish what they call "civilian supremacy".
Hundreds of Maoist cadres weaving red flags and carrying banners gathered on the highways leading to Kathmandu and stopped all road traffic.
The capital`s police chief said the highways were
shut down by the protesters but there were no reports of violence. The Tribhuvan International Airport however was functioning as the Maoist had exempted it from their protest blockade.
The protests began early morning with flag-waving Maoist cadres gathering at Thankot and Sanga, the two major entry points to Kathmandu from outside districts and as a result hundreds of vehicles were stranded at these entry points.
The Maoists have threatened to intensify their two-week old agitation from Tuesday to protest against President Dr Ram Baran Yadav re-instating the former Army chief in defiance of the former Maoist-led government which had sacked him.
Security has been tightened in the Kathmandu valley and the entire country with police personnel deployed at Thankot which is the entry point of the highway from India and Sangha which links the Nepalese capital with Tibet.
Schools, Colleges and Business establishments have been running despite the Maoists` blockade.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Recovery across key sectors 'surprisingly strong': Nomura
- Took liberty to up entertainment quotient in 'Azhar': Emraan Hashmi
- PHOTO: Vintage Sachin! When Master Blaster turned out for Yorkshire
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal dares BJP to arrest Congress chief Sonia Gandhi
- VITEEE 2016 exam results declared! Check VIT Engineering Entrance Examination ranks now