Maoists cabinet expansion halted, forms panel
Kathmandu: With Nepal`s new Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai unable to expand his two-member cabinet due to differences over portfolio distribution, the ruling Maoist party has formed a panel to work out a compromise among rival factions of the party and with alliance partners.
The high-level panel comprising Maoist Chairman Prachanda, senior vice-chairman Mohan Baidya and Bhattarai was formed after a meeting of the party`s Standing Committee, a Maoist spokesperson said.
Bhattarai is facing difficulty in expanding his two-member cabinet due to pressure from his own party colleagues and the Madhesi parties, whose support was crucial for his victory during the Prime Ministerial run-off on Sunday, party sources said.
The Prime Minister has agreed to allocate 11 cabinet rank ministers and two deputy Prime Ministers for the Madhesi parties, who have a combined strength of 84 in Parliament, they said.
However, his party men have been pressing for at least a deputy Prime Minister`s portfolio and important cabinet portfolios including Finance.
The Madhesi parties have demanded Communication, Defence and Industry portfolio besides having got appointed Bijaya Kumar Gachhadar as Deputy Prime Minister with the portfolio of Home, causing further delay in the cabinet expansion.
If everything goes well, then a small cabinet will be announced on Thursday, sources close to the Madhesi parties said.
The second largest party Nepali Congress and the third largest CPN-UML have already decided to sit in the opposition bench.
The Maoists had held a series of meetings since yesterday to decide power sharing among the party`s rank and file.
The party`s high body has finally authorised the powerful troika to make the final decision regarding power sharing including nominating a person from within the ranks to the Deputy Prime Minister`s post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared