Maoists, NC trying to form majority govt
Kathmandu: A minister in Nepal`s CPN-UML led caretaker government claimed on Sunday that efforts were underway by the Maoists and the Nepali Congress to seek support for a coalition government under their leadership, even after forcing Jhala Nath Khanal to step down to make way for a national unity government.
Minister for Energy and CPN-UML leader, Gokarna Bista, said only a national consensus government was a way out of the political uncertainty gripping the country, but some parties were looking for ways to form a majority government.
Speaking at an interaction here, Bista said the UCPN (Maoist) and the Nepali Congress were trying to win the support of other political parties in the name of forming a consensus government, and had stuck to their claim for government leadership.
However, Bista said his CPN-UML party will not support any effort to form a majority government and will continue to make efforts for a consensus government as the issue of leadership was not so important.
"Only a consensus government can complete the task of taking forward the peace process and drafting the new constitution," he pointed out.
He also blamed political instability for the lack of development of energy projects in the country. He said, the long hours of power cuts that are being witnessed in the country, can be minimised if positive changes were made to the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA).
The NEA is expediting dues collection to slash its Rs 28 billion loss, he said, adding that the process of procuring expensive vehicles by the NEA has been halted as cost cutting measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report