Maoists, NC trying to form majority govt
Kathmandu: A minister in Nepal`s CPN-UML led caretaker government claimed on Sunday that efforts were underway by the Maoists and the Nepali Congress to seek support for a coalition government under their leadership, even after forcing Jhala Nath Khanal to step down to make way for a national unity government.
Minister for Energy and CPN-UML leader, Gokarna Bista, said only a national consensus government was a way out of the political uncertainty gripping the country, but some parties were looking for ways to form a majority government.
Speaking at an interaction here, Bista said the UCPN (Maoist) and the Nepali Congress were trying to win the support of other political parties in the name of forming a consensus government, and had stuck to their claim for government leadership.
However, Bista said his CPN-UML party will not support any effort to form a majority government and will continue to make efforts for a consensus government as the issue of leadership was not so important.
"Only a consensus government can complete the task of taking forward the peace process and drafting the new constitution," he pointed out.
He also blamed political instability for the lack of development of energy projects in the country. He said, the long hours of power cuts that are being witnessed in the country, can be minimised if positive changes were made to the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA).
The NEA is expediting dues collection to slash its Rs 28 billion loss, he said, adding that the process of procuring expensive vehicles by the NEA has been halted as cost cutting measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical