Maoists, NC trying to form majority govt
Kathmandu: A minister in Nepal`s CPN-UML led caretaker government claimed on Sunday that efforts were underway by the Maoists and the Nepali Congress to seek support for a coalition government under their leadership, even after forcing Jhala Nath Khanal to step down to make way for a national unity government.
Minister for Energy and CPN-UML leader, Gokarna Bista, said only a national consensus government was a way out of the political uncertainty gripping the country, but some parties were looking for ways to form a majority government.
Speaking at an interaction here, Bista said the UCPN (Maoist) and the Nepali Congress were trying to win the support of other political parties in the name of forming a consensus government, and had stuck to their claim for government leadership.
However, Bista said his CPN-UML party will not support any effort to form a majority government and will continue to make efforts for a consensus government as the issue of leadership was not so important.
"Only a consensus government can complete the task of taking forward the peace process and drafting the new constitution," he pointed out.
He also blamed political instability for the lack of development of energy projects in the country. He said, the long hours of power cuts that are being witnessed in the country, can be minimised if positive changes were made to the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA).
The NEA is expediting dues collection to slash its Rs 28 billion loss, he said, adding that the process of procuring expensive vehicles by the NEA has been halted as cost cutting measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in