Kathmandu: Nepali Congress, a key partner in
the ruling alliance, on Wednesday claimed that Maoists were only
focussing on winning the next election through the use of
their 19,000 combatants and not showing any interest in
merging their cadres with the army.
The former rebels had been "putting obstacles" to the
army integration and peace process as their strategy was to
use their combatants for political gains, Nepali Congress Vice
President Prakash Man Singh told reporters in Rupandehi
district in western Nepal.
He alleged that the Maoists had deceived people many
times by giving false assurances about implementing various
agreements relating to the peace process which they had signed
in the past.
Singh claimed that the Maoists wanted to win the next
election through the use of their combatants and were not
showing any interest in managing their cadres.
They should prove their credibility by fulfilling their
past commitments, Singh said, amid the Maoists` demand for
Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal`s resignation.
He said the Prime Minister would take no time to tender
his resignation if the Maoists returned the property seized by
them during the decade-long insurgency, agreed to manage their
combatants and dissolved their paramilitary structure -- the
Young Communist League.
Singh asked the Maoists to convert their organisation
into a purely civilian body which did not possess any army.
He said the Nepali Congress was committed to writing the
new Constitution and holding its national convention and would
also accept the leadership of any party if the current
coalition government was dissolved, which would happen only
after Maoists showed sincerity in implementing their past