Marjah offensive, Day 13: Afghan flag raised over the town
Marjah: The Afghan flag was raised Thursday over a town at the centre of a US-led military assault to drive the Taliban from one of their key strongholds, a report said on Thursday.
Mohammad Gulab Mangal, Governor of Helmand province, raised the green, red and black flag in Marjah, watched by Brigadier General Larry Nicholson, the commander of the US Marines in southern Afghanistan, the report added.
"It`s a very historical day, a new beginning," Nicholson told a crowd of about 300 residents, watched over by US Marine snipers stationed on the roofs of surrounding buildings.
In what had characteristics of a victory celebration, Nicholson said of the assembly: "I am so moved by this, so very thrilled by the turnout.”
"They are voting with their eyes, and they believe there is a fresh start for Marjah under the government of Afghanistan."
Around 15,000 US, Afghan and NATO forces launched Operation Mushtarak ("Together") on February 13 in what has been billed the biggest military operation since the 2001 US-led invasion brought down the Taliban regime.
Their mission was to capture the Marjah area in Helmand from the Taliban and drug lords is a major test of US President Barack Obama`s troop surge battling to end the eight-year Afghan war.
After the assault, the mission is to reassert Afghan government’s authority so that the next phases -- consolidation and development -- can begin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras