Marxist party calls for Sri Lankan mass grave probe
Colombo: The Marxist JVP has called for an investigation into a mass grave discovered in the central town of Matale in Sri Lanka, alleged to be of youth killed at the height of the country`s civil war.
"We want an investigation into this mass grave. As we know more than 60,000 youth were killed in the 1987-1990 period," Anura Kumara Dissanayake, a senior JVP legislator said.
The JVP believes that the skeletal remains of over 140 people found at Matale at the construction site for a new building, are of victims of the JVP`s rebellion of `87-`90.
The party led a bloody rebellion in protest against the Indian intervention in the country`s civil war when the Indian Peace Keeping Force was deployed in Sri Lanka`s troubled north and east provinces to combat the LTTE.
The party had called it a sell out to India.
Dissanayake said the JVP would keep up the pressure for a credible investigation into the mass grave.
The JVP charged that the current main opposition UNP who were in government then, were as responsible for the execution of rebel youth through para military deployments.
Archaeological officials carried out excavation in late November and the remains are to be sent to US for carbon testing to ascertain the likely era of the graves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28