Mass suicide attack bid foiled in Afghan, scores held
New Delhi: A major tragedy was averted in Afghanistan on Tuesday after authorities foiled a plan for an apparent mass suicide attack in the country’s capital Kabul and arrested several persons in connection with the case.
Some of those held in connection with the case are said to the soldiers in the Afghan National Army.
Afghanistan Intelligence officials have reportedly seized 11 suicide jackets in the Ministry of Defence.
These jackets were seized on Monday afternoon from three separate rooms around a Ministry car park, which is very close to the Presidential Palace.
According to initial reports, these jackets were to be detonated on buses transporting staff to and from work.
Those arrested in connection with the case are being interrogated by the Afghanistan Intelligence officials to ascertain how the jackets ended up in the rooms which they were supposed to be guarding.
The increasing incident of attacks by rogue soldiers and Taliban infiltrators has further worsened the Afghan police and Army for several years.
The development comes on a day when people wearing the uniforms of Afghan security forces killed one US and two British soldiers in separate incidents, in Paktika province and Lashkar Gah respectively.
Attacks on US and Nato forces have increased since the burning of Korans by US troops in February and the murder of several Afghan civilians by a US staff sergeant on 11 March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Shocking! 13-year-old girl raped, set ablaze in Rajasthan
- Pro-EU Londoners rebel with `Lexit` secession call
- Maiden flight of Su-30 MKI with BrahMos missile successful
- Turkey police detain 28 in raids on Erdogan foes
- AAP MLA arrested for sexual harassment, Kejriwal attacks PM with ''Emergency'' taunt