Massive heroin haul in Sri Lanka
Colombo: At least 100 kg of heroin was seized from a cargo container which had arrived in Sri Lanka from Pakistan, officials said Friday.
Customs Director Mali Piyasena said the containers were seized on suspicion and sent to a container yard for checking, Xinhua reported.
He said that the documentation on the container indicated that it contained tins of grease. However when the tins were checked, customs officers found at least 100 kg of heroin inside.
The customs department said that two people, including a Pakistani national, had been arrested over the incident. This is the biggest heroin haul in Sri Lanka.
Indian enforcement agencies last year sounded an alert on drug cartels using India as a transit point for smuggling heroin to Sri Lanka, where the demand for heroin has doubled.
Sri Lanka has become a transit point for heroin smuggling in South Asia mostly by heroin dealers from Pakistan and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II