Mastermind of Pakistan Army HQ attack arrested
Lahore: Qari Ishtiaq, the mastermind of the attack on Pakistan Army headquarters in Rawalpindi, was arrested here Tuesday, the police said.
Ishtiaq guided his associates on phone during the two-day assault on the fortified building, in which 19 people, including at least eight soldiers and eight militants, were killed.
Police also recovered four Kalashnikov rifles, 10 grenades, a rocket launcher and explosives from his possession.
Seven other associates of Ishtiaq were arrested in Gujranwala, Mailsi and Sargodha areas based on the information given by him during interrogation.
Ishtiaq is a senior leader of the Tehrik-e-Taliban in the Punjab province and a resident of Bahawalpur.
The Online news agency said a search operation is on to nab his other associates.
The militants stormed into the army headquarters Oct 10 angered by the military operation in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan. The militants seized the building and taken dozens of people hostage.
The security forces ended the two-day drama after eliminating all the militants in the building next day. Three of the hostages were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing