Mastermind of Pakistan Army HQ attack arrested
Lahore: Qari Ishtiaq, the mastermind of the attack on Pakistan Army headquarters in Rawalpindi, was arrested here Tuesday, the police said.
Ishtiaq guided his associates on phone during the two-day assault on the fortified building, in which 19 people, including at least eight soldiers and eight militants, were killed.
Police also recovered four Kalashnikov rifles, 10 grenades, a rocket launcher and explosives from his possession.
Seven other associates of Ishtiaq were arrested in Gujranwala, Mailsi and Sargodha areas based on the information given by him during interrogation.
Ishtiaq is a senior leader of the Tehrik-e-Taliban in the Punjab province and a resident of Bahawalpur.
The Online news agency said a search operation is on to nab his other associates.
The militants stormed into the army headquarters Oct 10 angered by the military operation in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan. The militants seized the building and taken dozens of people hostage.
The security forces ended the two-day drama after eliminating all the militants in the building next day. Three of the hostages were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday