MDP welcomes India`s intervention; says is grateful
Male: The Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP)
of ousted president Mohammed Nasheed on Thursday welcomed India`s
diplomatic efforts that could end the current political
impasse here and lead to early elections.
"It has been a positive movement, a forward movement.
India`s role was very much important in ensuring that
political and democratic process is on," the then Special
Envoy to Nasheed said.
"We are grateful to India for the timely intervention,"
Asked if the MDP will go ahead with its grand rally
tomorrow, he said, "It will not be called a rally. It will be
a meeting. It will have specific time period and will be very
While the current regime was talking of polls only in
2013 as scheduled, the new government led by President
Mohammed Waheed Hassan appears to have changed its strategy
following hectic parleys that Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai
had with all stakeholders here including Nasheed.
Mathai said India`s understanding was that elections
"would be held as early as considered feasible by all
Asked if India backs an early election, the primary
demand of ousted President Nasheed, Mathai said, "Timing has
to be decided in an all party conference."
Maldives was hit by deepening political crisis last week
when Nasheed resigned and later claimed that he was forced to
A new regime led by his then Vice President Mohammed
Waheed Hassan took over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL