MDP welcomes India`s intervention; says is grateful
Male: The Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP)
of ousted president Mohammed Nasheed on Thursday welcomed India`s
diplomatic efforts that could end the current political
impasse here and lead to early elections.
"It has been a positive movement, a forward movement.
India`s role was very much important in ensuring that
political and democratic process is on," the then Special
Envoy to Nasheed said.
"We are grateful to India for the timely intervention,"
Asked if the MDP will go ahead with its grand rally
tomorrow, he said, "It will not be called a rally. It will be
a meeting. It will have specific time period and will be very
While the current regime was talking of polls only in
2013 as scheduled, the new government led by President
Mohammed Waheed Hassan appears to have changed its strategy
following hectic parleys that Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai
had with all stakeholders here including Nasheed.
Mathai said India`s understanding was that elections
"would be held as early as considered feasible by all
Asked if India backs an early election, the primary
demand of ousted President Nasheed, Mathai said, "Timing has
to be decided in an all party conference."
Maldives was hit by deepening political crisis last week
when Nasheed resigned and later claimed that he was forced to
A new regime led by his then Vice President Mohammed
Waheed Hassan took over.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler