MEA discusses restoring supply of subsidised gas t
New Delhi: Ministry of External Affairs has initiated the process of assessing the financial and logistical implications to ensure a quick decision on restoring supply of subsidised gas to Bhutan.
A meeting, chaired by foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai and attended by senior oil ministry and MEA officials, discussed various aspects to reinstate the subsidised gas and kerosene supply, official sources said here.
The subsidy cut, just before the elections, had come against the backdrop of apparent unhappiness over the meeting between Bhutan PM Jigme Thinley and a top Chinese leader last year.
He had a meeting with the then Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao in Rio and also imported some 20 buses from China, a development which had taken India by surprise.
Sources said the meeting on Friday was aimed at exploring the option to quickly restore the supply even if it was on interim basis. However, an exhaustive reinstatement plan has to be cleared by the Union cabinet.
Meanwhile, Bhutan`s Prime Minister-elect Tshering Tobgay, in an interview asked for urgent reinstatement of the subsidised supply gas and said, "Even though my party is yet to form government, I have had very reassuring discussions with the Indian Ambassador in Thimphu on this subject".
Bhutan has made a formal request to External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid not to implement the subsidy cut as it would have resulted in steep hike in diesel prices.
The subsidy, amounting to Rs 150 crore per annum, is borne by Indian Oil as part of its under-recoveries reported to the petroleum ministry.
IOC cut the subsidy on kerosene and LPG on July 1, a fortnight before Bhutan went to polls, following an advice from the MEA to revise prices because it would not reimburse the subsidy component on the two fuels.
The MEA said that since Bhutan`s 10th Plan expired on June 30, fresh terms of financial assistance, including subsidies would have to be negotiated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference