Measles kills over 150 kids in Pakistan
Islamabad: Seven more children died of measles Sunday in Pakistan`s southern province of Sindh, taking the toll due to the disease to 154 in the month, media reports said.
Citing Urdu TV channel Dunya, Xinhua said the disease broke out during the last week of October in northern areas of Sindh province that were hit by floods in August and September.
Children between the ages of two and nine years were affected.
Health officials said that over 1,200 measles-affected children have been shifted to hospitals since November.
They said the major reasons behind such a massive spread of the disease were malnutrition and unhygienic conditions in which the affected kids were living.
Most of the affected children were living together in congested streets and were passing the disease to other children, a senior health official was quoted as saying.
Families of the affected children said stagnant rain water was still present in their surroundings even after three months since the floods hit the province.
The Sindh health ministry said an anti-measles vaccination drive has been launched in the affected areas. Around 130,000 children have been vaccinated so far.
This is the second major outbreak of the disease in Sindh this year. In June, the World Health Organization said that 27 children under five years died due to measles in the province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you