Memo case: Pak SC tells Haqqani to appear before it on Jan 28
1. Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday issued a fresh notice to former ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani to appear before it on January 28, when it will resume hearing a case related to an alleged memo that purportedly sought US help to stave off a feared military coup.
A nine-judge bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will hear the case pertaining to the memo allegedly sent by Haqqani to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen seeking US intervention to avert a possible overthrow of the government in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden last year.
The apex court further directed the government to submit by January 13 a report on the security that would be provided to Haqqani, who is currently in the US.
The court also issued notices to other respondents in the case, including the Inter-Services Intelligence agency and the Defence Ministry. Haqqani has not responded to several notices to appear in court, saying his life would be in danger if he returned to Pakistan.
The apex court wants Haqqani to come to Pakistan to record a judicial statement.
During the last hearing of the case, the apex court had directed Haqqani`s lawyer Asma Jehangir to file a request with the Interior Secretary for providing security to her client.
A judicial commission set up by the apex court concluded in June that Haqqani was responsible for the mysterious memo, which was made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Today in History, 24th September, 2016
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi