Memo case: Pak SC tells Haqqani to appear before it on Jan 28
1. Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday issued a fresh notice to former ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani to appear before it on January 28, when it will resume hearing a case related to an alleged memo that purportedly sought US help to stave off a feared military coup.
A nine-judge bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will hear the case pertaining to the memo allegedly sent by Haqqani to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen seeking US intervention to avert a possible overthrow of the government in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden last year.
The apex court further directed the government to submit by January 13 a report on the security that would be provided to Haqqani, who is currently in the US.
The court also issued notices to other respondents in the case, including the Inter-Services Intelligence agency and the Defence Ministry. Haqqani has not responded to several notices to appear in court, saying his life would be in danger if he returned to Pakistan.
The apex court wants Haqqani to come to Pakistan to record a judicial statement.
During the last hearing of the case, the apex court had directed Haqqani`s lawyer Asma Jehangir to file a request with the Interior Secretary for providing security to her client.
A judicial commission set up by the apex court concluded in June that Haqqani was responsible for the mysterious memo, which was made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore