Memo case: Pak SC tells Haqqani to appear before it on Jan 28
1. Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday issued a fresh notice to former ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani to appear before it on January 28, when it will resume hearing a case related to an alleged memo that purportedly sought US help to stave off a feared military coup.
A nine-judge bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry will hear the case pertaining to the memo allegedly sent by Haqqani to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen seeking US intervention to avert a possible overthrow of the government in the aftermath of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden last year.
The apex court further directed the government to submit by January 13 a report on the security that would be provided to Haqqani, who is currently in the US.
The court also issued notices to other respondents in the case, including the Inter-Services Intelligence agency and the Defence Ministry. Haqqani has not responded to several notices to appear in court, saying his life would be in danger if he returned to Pakistan.
The apex court wants Haqqani to come to Pakistan to record a judicial statement.
During the last hearing of the case, the apex court had directed Haqqani`s lawyer Asma Jehangir to file a request with the Interior Secretary for providing security to her client.
A judicial commission set up by the apex court concluded in June that Haqqani was responsible for the mysterious memo, which was made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know