Memo commission orders grant of visa to Ijaz
Islamabad: The memo commission on Monday directed Pakistan`s attorney general to issue visa to Pakistani American businessman Mansoor Ijaz besides ensuring his security to enable him to arrive in the country.
Ijaz claims to have handed over a memo to the then US military chief General Mike Mullen at the behest of the then Pakistan ambassador to US Husain Haqqani and the government to avert a likely military coup which President Asif Ali Zardari feared following Osama bin Laden`s May 02 killing at Abbottabad near Islamabad.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court set up a three-member commission headed by Chief Justice Balochistan High Court Justice Qazi Faiz Isa to investigate into the memo issue.
Ijaz later wrote a letter to the memo commission that he was ready to visit Pakistan but requested for complete security to himself and the evidence he would be in possession of. His lawyer Akram Shaikh, however, told the commission his client was not given the visa to visit Pakistan, Geo News reported.
The commission on Monday instructed the attorney general to issue a visa to Ijaz on urgent basis and ensure his security. It also asked the law officer to provide additional security to Pakistan` former ambassador to US Husain Haqqani.
The memo commission has summoned Zardari, Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence Ahmed Shuja Pasha, and Husain Haqqani, among others, for its hearing on January 09.
On the other hand, Kayani informed the commission in writing of his unavailability to appear before it because he was on an official visit to China.
Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president Nawaz Sharif and Haqqani arrived at the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday morning to appear before the commission.
A 17-member parliamentary panel -- Parliamentary Committee on National Security (PCNS) -- is separately investigating the memo case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan