Memo: Ijaz fails to appear before Pak commission
Islamabad: American businessman Mansoor Ijaz
on Thursday failed to avail a final opportunity to depose before a
Pakistani judicial commission investigating the memo scandal,
with his lawyer saying that he was prepared to record his
statement at the Pakistani mission in London.
The Supreme Court-appointed commission observed that Ijaz
had made a U-turn on the issue of coming to Pakistan to depose
despite all sorts of assurances given by the government about
During a hearing last month, the commission had given Ijaz
a final opportunity to depose before it today about the
mysterious memo that had sought US help to stave off a feared
military coup in Pakistan after the killing of Osama bin Laden
in May last year.
The three-judge commission issued the direction after Ijaz
failed to appear before the panel on two occasions.
In messages sent through this lawyer Akram Sheikh, Ijaz
had cited security concerns as his reason for not coming to
During today`s hearing, Sheikh told the panel that Ijaz
does not want to come to Pakistan but is ready to provide
evidence about the memo and record his statement outside the
After consulting Ijaz during a recess in the hearing,
Sheikh informed the commission that Ijaz was prepared to
record his statement at the Pakistan High Commission in
Sheikh further contended that the commission does not have
the right to summon Ijaz, who is a US national and had
voluntarily offered to appear before the panel.
Sheikh contended that Pakistani laws would be applicable
to Ijaz once he arrived in the country, and that a
parliamentary commission which is also investigating the memo
scandal could ask for him to be held.
The commission observed that Ijaz had not come to Pakistan
despite all sorts of assurances given to him by the
The panel further observed there was no guarantee that he
would record his statement abroad.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik appeared before the
commission last month and assured it that Ijaz would be
provided complete security.
However, Ijaz has claimed that he has "no confidence" in
The Supreme Court recently gave the commission two more
months to finalise its report on the memo scandal, which had
triggered a tense standoff between the civilian government and
Pakistan`s former envoy to the US, Husain Haqqani, was
forced to resign after Ijaz made public the alleged memo last
Ijaz claimed he had drafted and delivered the memo to the
US military on Haqqani`s instructions, a charge denied by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read