Islamabad: The Pakistan Army chief and the
ISI chief`s responses to a case regarding the Memogate scandal
were submitted to the Supreme Court while there was no reply
from President Asif Ali Zardari even though a deadline set by
the court expired on Thursday.
After admitting nine petitions seeking a probe into the
Memogate controversy, the apex court had directed 10
respondents, including the President, to submit their replies
by December 15.
The responses of Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez
Kayani and Inter-Services Intelligence agency chief Lt Gen
Ahmed Shuja Pasha were submitted to the Supreme Court’s
registrar this evening by Attorney General Anwarul Haq.
Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, who made
public the alleged secret memo that sought US help to prevent
a military coup in Pakistan in the wake of the American raid
that killed Osama bin Laden in May, submitted his response
earlier in the day.
The replies of the Cabinet, Law, Interior, Defence and
Foreign Secretaries too have been submitted while Husain
Haqqani, Pakistan`s former envoy to the US, sent in his reply
several days ago.
There was no official word on why President Zardari`s
response had not been submitted.
Several of Zardari`s close aides have told the media that
it was not necessary for him to submit a response as he
enjoyed immunity by virtue of being President.
Zardari is currently recuperating in his residence in
Dubai after being discharged yesterday from a hospital where
he was treated for a heart condition.
Attorney General Haq told reporters that no changes were
made to the replies from the army chief and the head of the
ISI. He did not give details of their responses.
A larger bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry
is set to resume hearing of the case on December 19.
PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif is one of the nine petitioners
who have sought an investigation into the alleged secret memo.
The apex court has set up a commission to probe the