Memogate case: Asma Jahangir to represent Haqqani
Islamabad: Leading Pakistani lawyer and rights
activist Asma Jahangir said she would represent former
Ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani in the Supreme Court in a
case related to the controversial secret memo sent to the
American military in May.
Jahangir, a former president of the Supreme Court Bar
Association, said Haqqani`s wife Farahnaz Isphani had
requested her to appear in the apex court as her husband`s
"Yes, I will represent Husain Haqqani in the Memogate case
being heard by the Supreme Court," she said.
The Supreme Court had on Thursday sought responses from
President Asif Ali Zardari, army chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani,
Inter-Services Intelligence agency chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja
Pasha, Haqqani and several others to a bunch of petitions
seeking a probe into the secret memo.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry also
ordered the formation of a commission to probe the issue.
Haqqani resigned as Ambassador after the secret memo was
made public by controversial Pakistani-American businessman
The memo had sought US help to prevent a military coup in
Pakistan after the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden
on May 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics