MFN status to India not yet done: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan’s flip-flop on granting Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India continues with Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani saying that a final decision on the issue is yet to be taken.
Reports, Thursday, said that Pakistan Prime Minister, while addressing the National Assembly, said that Parliament and the people would be taken on board about giving MFN status to India.
However, he told the lawmakers that the procedure had been initiated to move forward in this direction.
Gilani assured the National Assembly that his government would do everything to safeguard the interest of the country.
However, Gilani urged the Opposition to wait for the conclusion of the secretary-level talks between the two countries, currently underway to take a final decision.
Pakistan’s U-turn on the issue comes days after it announced its decision to grant the MFN status to India, which was hailed as a significant step in improving bilateral ties and boosting two-way trade currently standing at USD 2.6 billion.
The MFN status, which means that Pakistan will give trade treatment to India at par with its other partners, is likely to boost the bilateral economic ties. India had granted the MFN status to Pakistan way back in 1996. In 2010-11, India- Pakistan trade stood at USD 2.6 billion. Pakistan`s move came days ahead of the November 10-11 SAARC Summit in Maldives, where the Prime Ministers of the two countries met.
However, Pakistan soon backtracked, saying the Commerce Ministry has only been tasked to move forward on the issue in bilateral negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'