`MFN to India step in the right direction`
Islamabad: Pakistan`s decision to grant Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to India is a step in the right direction as this country "really needs greater harmony in the region", a Pakistani daily said on Friday.
"It bears mention here that it is Pakistan`s economy that is in greater need of help," an editorial in The News International said on Pakistan`s decision on Wednesday to grant India MFN status.
Every decision inevitably has its pros and cons, but MFN status to India is a welcome decision, the editorial said.
It added that moving beyond Pakistan`s increasingly messy internal politics, "what the country really needs is greater harmony in the region".
"The act of granting India MFN status marks a step in the right direction. While the issue of Kashmir has been raised by some who oppose the move, the fact of the matter is that the Kashmir issue also can only be settled through dialogue; and trust between the two countries and a readiness to work together are prerequisites for dialogue."
It went on to say that India-Pakistan ties "need to recover from the deep rift that was caused by the 2008 Mumbai attacks, the aftershocks of which are still being felt".
"Further efforts to build normalcy in relations between the two countries are therefore necessary.”
"As far as trade goes, ties with India can only benefit people on both sides of the border. For this reason alone, approving the MFN status is an important step that can help set us back on the road to peace with India - a development that is vital to the safety and welfare of our people," the editorial noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'