Militant attack at Imran’s rally; 1 dead, 11 injured
Islamabad: At least one person was killed
and 11 others injured on Friday when suspected militants lobbed
grenades and fired at a police truck soon after a rally of
cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan in northwest Pakistan.
The attackers hurled two grenades and fired with
automatic weapons at the truck at Swabi in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
province, police officials said.
Khan had left the area after addressing the rally
organised by his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party and was not
near the site of the attack, witnesses said.
Officials said one person was killed in the attack.
Seven police personnel, including a woman constable,
were among the injured. They were taken to a nearby hospital.
Speaking to Geo News channel, Khan said he was safe.
He said the attack took place after he had left the
venue of the rally.
In a statement, Khan described the attack as an act of
Such tactics would not deter his party from holding
public gatherings, he said.
Footage on television showed people lifting some
injured persons and putting them into private vehicles.
An injured man lay in a pool of blood on the road.
The police truck was damaged by the blasts.
The attack caused panic in the area and people rushed
out of the venue of the rally.
Shops in a nearby market closed down.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Revealed! Release date of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser
- Rio Olympics 2016: Australia's Cate Campbell swam with hernia, says report
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics
- Prakash Javadekar commits a blooper, says Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Subhas Chandra Bose were hanged