Militant attack at Imran’s rally; 1 dead, 11 injured
Islamabad: At least one person was killed
and 11 others injured on Friday when suspected militants lobbed
grenades and fired at a police truck soon after a rally of
cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan in northwest Pakistan.
The attackers hurled two grenades and fired with
automatic weapons at the truck at Swabi in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
province, police officials said.
Khan had left the area after addressing the rally
organised by his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party and was not
near the site of the attack, witnesses said.
Officials said one person was killed in the attack.
Seven police personnel, including a woman constable,
were among the injured. They were taken to a nearby hospital.
Speaking to Geo News channel, Khan said he was safe.
He said the attack took place after he had left the
venue of the rally.
In a statement, Khan described the attack as an act of
Such tactics would not deter his party from holding
public gatherings, he said.
Footage on television showed people lifting some
injured persons and putting them into private vehicles.
An injured man lay in a pool of blood on the road.
The police truck was damaged by the blasts.
The attack caused panic in the area and people rushed
out of the venue of the rally.
Shops in a nearby market closed down.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm