Militant attack at Imran’s rally; 1 dead, 11 injured
Islamabad: At least one person was killed
and 11 others injured on Friday when suspected militants lobbed
grenades and fired at a police truck soon after a rally of
cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan in northwest Pakistan.
The attackers hurled two grenades and fired with
automatic weapons at the truck at Swabi in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
province, police officials said.
Khan had left the area after addressing the rally
organised by his Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf party and was not
near the site of the attack, witnesses said.
Officials said one person was killed in the attack.
Seven police personnel, including a woman constable,
were among the injured. They were taken to a nearby hospital.
Speaking to Geo News channel, Khan said he was safe.
He said the attack took place after he had left the
venue of the rally.
In a statement, Khan described the attack as an act of
Such tactics would not deter his party from holding
public gatherings, he said.
Footage on television showed people lifting some
injured persons and putting them into private vehicles.
An injured man lay in a pool of blood on the road.
The police truck was damaged by the blasts.
The attack caused panic in the area and people rushed
out of the venue of the rally.
Shops in a nearby market closed down.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam