Kandahar: A suicide bomber and three gunmen
assaulted a NATO base in southern Afghanistan on Sunday but failed
to breach its defences, officials said.
The bomber detonated his explosives outside the gate of a
base in Qalat, the capital of Zabul province, said Salim
Ahsas, the southern regional head of the Afghan police.
The gunmen then started to shoot toward the base. One was
killed, another was captured and the third escaped, Ahsas
No one else was killed, he said. The Interior Ministry
said in a statement that three civilians were wounded one
woman and two children.
The attack occurred on the same day that a government
health worker and his driver were killed in a roadside bomb
blast in the north.
Ahmad Jawed Karim and his driver hit an explosive as they
were driving in Takhar province`s Dahana Sangi district, the
health ministry said in a statement.
In the south meanwhile, two international service members were killed one in an insurgent attack and the other in a bomb
NATO forces said the service members died today but did
not provide further detail.
NATO typically waits for national authorities to identify
their dead and provide details of fatal incidents.
The latest military death makes 78 international troops
killed so far this month.