Militants attack Pashto poet`s shrine in Pak
Islamabad: Pro-Taliban militants attacked the shrine of renowned Pashto poet Amir Hamza Khan Shinwari in the Khyber tribal region of northwest Pakistan with grenades and rockets, partially damaged it, officials said on Saturday.
Militants attacked the `mazar` in Landikotal area on Friday morning and damaged the shrine`s boundary wall, officials of the local political administration said.
A paramilitary guard stationed at the shrine said the militants asked him to leave the area.
When he refused to do so, the militants lobbed two grenades and fire several rockets at the shrine.
The guard and the militants exchanged fire for some time before additional forces from the Khasadar militia reached the shrine.
The militants escaped and troops conducted a search operation in the area.
Two nearby shops were damaged by the blasts. Local residents said this was the fourth attack on the shrine in two years.
Shinwari, also known as Hamza Baba, is a popular Pashto poet and is referred to as "Baba-e-Ghazal".
Taliban militants are opposed to the practice of people paying their respect at Sufi shrines and have attacked several mazars across Pakistan in the past few years. Scores of people have been killed and injured in these attacks.
Senior Awami National Party leader Afrasiab Khattak condemned the attack on Shinwari`s shrine, saying great saints and poets of the region had made innumerable contributions in spreading Islam.
Militants could not limit the reverence for poets and saints by attacking shrines and such assaults would only increase the people’s respect for such revered persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks