Militants behead three peace committee members in Pakistan
Islamabad: In a gruesome incident, three members of an anti-Taliban militia have been beheaded by militants while another four were kidnapped in Pakistan`s restive Khyber Agency.
Militants, in a pre-dawn attack, stormed the office of a peace committee yesterday while its members were asleep.
"The peace committee members could not even retaliate," media reports here quoted an official of the political administration as saying.
The militants have also kidnapped four members of the committee.
Two of the beheaded bodies were found after the incident in Qamabarabad Shalobar. The reports, however, did not give details about the third body.
"The militants threw two of the heads on the way and warned the locals not to pick them before 12 noon on Monday," an official was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
He said those killed had freshly joined the committee as volunteers.
The four kidnapped members could not be identified.
The bodies were shifted to the levies forces centre at Shahkas and later handed over to their families.
As part of counter-terrorism strategy, the government had encouraged local tribesmen to set up militias to fight against the Taliban and other militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand