Militants behead three peace committee members in Pakistan
Islamabad: In a gruesome incident, three members of an anti-Taliban militia have been beheaded by militants while another four were kidnapped in Pakistan`s restive Khyber Agency.
Militants, in a pre-dawn attack, stormed the office of a peace committee yesterday while its members were asleep.
"The peace committee members could not even retaliate," media reports here quoted an official of the political administration as saying.
The militants have also kidnapped four members of the committee.
Two of the beheaded bodies were found after the incident in Qamabarabad Shalobar. The reports, however, did not give details about the third body.
"The militants threw two of the heads on the way and warned the locals not to pick them before 12 noon on Monday," an official was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
He said those killed had freshly joined the committee as volunteers.
The four kidnapped members could not be identified.
The bodies were shifted to the levies forces centre at Shahkas and later handed over to their families.
As part of counter-terrorism strategy, the government had encouraged local tribesmen to set up militias to fight against the Taliban and other militant groups.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split