Militants blow up Pakistan girls school: Officials
Pakistan: Islamist militants blew up a girls school in Pakistan`s lawless Khyber tribal district on Sunday, destroying the building and wounding four people in neighbouring homes, officials said.
Two explosions ripped through the 18-room government high school for girls at Kari Gar village and a boy who watched the premises is missing, possibly kidnapped by the militants, local administration officials said.
"The militants have blown up the school with two blasts and all rooms were demolished," said administration official Shafeer Ullah.
"Four people in neighbouring houses were also wounded and their homes slightly damaged. We`re still trying to find out what happened to the office boy," Ullah said.
Another of Khyber`s administrators, Farooq Khan, confirmed the incident.
Islamist militants, who have carved out a strong presence in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous tribal belt on the Afghan border, have destroyed hundreds of schools, mostly for girls, in the northwest of the country in recent years.
Nearly 200 schools were destroyed in the Swat valley alone during a two-year Taliban uprising to enforce sharia law in a district once favoured by Western tourists for its ski slopes and bracing mountain air.
Following up a similar offensive in Swat this summer, Pakistan has been fighting against home-grown militants in Khyber and pressing a major assault designed to crush Taliban sanctuaries in South Waziristan.
Authorities last month shut schools across Pakistan following a suicide attack on a university campus in Islamabad, although most have since reopened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note