Militants blow up Pakistan girls school: Officials
Pakistan: Islamist militants blew up a girls school in Pakistan`s lawless Khyber tribal district on Sunday, destroying the building and wounding four people in neighbouring homes, officials said.
Two explosions ripped through the 18-room government high school for girls at Kari Gar village and a boy who watched the premises is missing, possibly kidnapped by the militants, local administration officials said.
"The militants have blown up the school with two blasts and all rooms were demolished," said administration official Shafeer Ullah.
"Four people in neighbouring houses were also wounded and their homes slightly damaged. We`re still trying to find out what happened to the office boy," Ullah said.
Another of Khyber`s administrators, Farooq Khan, confirmed the incident.
Islamist militants, who have carved out a strong presence in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous tribal belt on the Afghan border, have destroyed hundreds of schools, mostly for girls, in the northwest of the country in recent years.
Nearly 200 schools were destroyed in the Swat valley alone during a two-year Taliban uprising to enforce sharia law in a district once favoured by Western tourists for its ski slopes and bracing mountain air.
Following up a similar offensive in Swat this summer, Pakistan has been fighting against home-grown militants in Khyber and pressing a major assault designed to crush Taliban sanctuaries in South Waziristan.
Authorities last month shut schools across Pakistan following a suicide attack on a university campus in Islamabad, although most have since reopened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes