Militants had back-up plan to kill Karachi top cop
Karachi: The militants who killed Chaudhry Aslam, one of Pakistan`s top counter-terror officials, had prepared two explosives-laden cars as a back-up in case an assault by a suicide bomber failed, a senior police official said on Monday.
At least 12 people were involved in the assassination of "super cop" Aslam in Karachi on Thursday, SSP CID Niaz Khoso said.
"It is now clear that the militants had decided they wanted Aslam out of the way and had prepared several plans to kill him. If the suicide bomber had failed, they would have detonated two explosives-laden cars by remote control," Khoso said.
"We have proof there were two explosives-laden vans parked close to the blast site."
Aslam was killed with two other policemen when the suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the police official`s motorcade. A faction of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack.
After initial investigations, the CID said Aslam was killed by a bomber whose remains were found at the site of the blast.
"The indications are that at least 12 people were involved in planning and execution the attack," Khoso said.
Sources in the police department said the government had allowed American investigators to probe the attack. "The government wants the incident probed from different angles and by different agencies, and that is why the FBI is also involved," a source said.
But in what is being seen as a damning statement against the government, Aslam`s widow told Geo News that her husband was not provided any additional security or a bulletproof car by authorities.
"He had been using a bulletproof car given to him by his friend. The friend took the car a few days back to get its glasses repaired. When he was killed, he just had one police (vehicle) with him," Naureen Aslam said.
Muhammad Aslam Khan, commonly known as Chaudhry Aslam, inspired fear and awe everywhere he went. Usually spotted in his trademark white shalwar kameez with his buttons undone and an unkempt beard, he was known for wearing flashy watches and carrying his Glock 9mm pistol in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
He became famous for his stand against terrorists and militants in Karachi and had survived several attempts on his life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India