Militants kill 8 security personnel in Pakistan
Islamabad: Militants attacked a security forces camp near the city of Gujrat in Pakistan`s Punjab province on Monday, killing seven soldiers and a policeman and injuring several others.
The security personnel were attacked by a group of militants shortly after they had offered pre-dawn prayers.
The gunmen, who were using cars and motorcycles, fled after the shooting, TV news channels reported.
The military confirmed the incident in a brief statement.
It said seven security personnel, including a police official, were killed instantly and five others were injured "due to firing by unknown assailants near Wazirabad", a town located 12 km from Gujrat city.
One of injured personnel died later in hospital, TV news channels reported. The injured were taken to a military hospital in Gujranwala district.
The militants planted a timed explosive device near the security forces camp that went off shortly after the attack.
No one was injured by the explosion. The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the incident, Geo News reported.
The security personnel were part of a small rescue party that had camped on the bank of the Chenab river to search for the body of a pilot who drowned when a military helicopter crashed on May 23.
The attack occurred hours after thousands of supporters of the Defa-e-Pakistan Council arrived in Gujrat as part of a "long march" to protest the government`s decision to reopen NATO supply routes to Afghanistan.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including the Jamaat-ud-Dawah and the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba.
The DPC is opposed to the transportation of supplies for foreign troops in Afghanistan through Pakistani territory.
The supply routes were closed last November after a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
The government reopened the supply lines last week after the US apologised for the NATO attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow