Militants kill 8 security personnel in Pakistan
Islamabad: Militants attacked a security forces camp near the city of Gujrat in Pakistan`s Punjab province on Monday, killing seven soldiers and a policeman and injuring several others.
The security personnel were attacked by a group of militants shortly after they had offered pre-dawn prayers.
The gunmen, who were using cars and motorcycles, fled after the shooting, TV news channels reported.
The military confirmed the incident in a brief statement.
It said seven security personnel, including a police official, were killed instantly and five others were injured "due to firing by unknown assailants near Wazirabad", a town located 12 km from Gujrat city.
One of injured personnel died later in hospital, TV news channels reported. The injured were taken to a military hospital in Gujranwala district.
The militants planted a timed explosive device near the security forces camp that went off shortly after the attack.
No one was injured by the explosion. The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the incident, Geo News reported.
The security personnel were part of a small rescue party that had camped on the bank of the Chenab river to search for the body of a pilot who drowned when a military helicopter crashed on May 23.
The attack occurred hours after thousands of supporters of the Defa-e-Pakistan Council arrived in Gujrat as part of a "long march" to protest the government`s decision to reopen NATO supply routes to Afghanistan.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including the Jamaat-ud-Dawah and the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba.
The DPC is opposed to the transportation of supplies for foreign troops in Afghanistan through Pakistani territory.
The supply routes were closed last November after a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
The government reopened the supply lines last week after the US apologised for the NATO attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir