Militants kill 8 security personnel in Pakistan
Islamabad: Militants attacked a security forces camp near the city of Gujrat in Pakistan`s Punjab province on Monday, killing seven soldiers and a policeman and injuring several others.
The security personnel were attacked by a group of militants shortly after they had offered pre-dawn prayers.
The gunmen, who were using cars and motorcycles, fled after the shooting, TV news channels reported.
The military confirmed the incident in a brief statement.
It said seven security personnel, including a police official, were killed instantly and five others were injured "due to firing by unknown assailants near Wazirabad", a town located 12 km from Gujrat city.
One of injured personnel died later in hospital, TV news channels reported. The injured were taken to a military hospital in Gujranwala district.
The militants planted a timed explosive device near the security forces camp that went off shortly after the attack.
No one was injured by the explosion. The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the incident, Geo News reported.
The security personnel were part of a small rescue party that had camped on the bank of the Chenab river to search for the body of a pilot who drowned when a military helicopter crashed on May 23.
The attack occurred hours after thousands of supporters of the Defa-e-Pakistan Council arrived in Gujrat as part of a "long march" to protest the government`s decision to reopen NATO supply routes to Afghanistan.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including the Jamaat-ud-Dawah and the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba.
The DPC is opposed to the transportation of supplies for foreign troops in Afghanistan through Pakistani territory.
The supply routes were closed last November after a cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
The government reopened the supply lines last week after the US apologised for the NATO attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report