Militants kill six soldiers in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: Militants attacked a military convoy with rocket-propelled grenades and other heavy weapons in northwest Pakistan, killing six soldiers said a senior police official.
Shafiullah Khan says two soldiers were wounded in the attack today, 20 kilometres south of the main northwest city of Peshawar. Two vehicles were destroyed.
Khan says the soldiers retaliated, killing four militants.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but suspicion will likely fall on the Pakistani Taliban.
The Taliban have been waging an insurgency against the Pakistani government for years that has killed thousands of security personnel and civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends