Militants storm judicial complex in Pakistan, four killed
Islamabad: A group of heavily-armed suicide attackers stormed a judicial complex in the restive Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan on Monday, killing four persons and injuring 30 others, including a lady judge.
The militants lobbed grenades and fired indiscriminately after entering the judicial complex from an entrance at the rear at about 12:30 pm (local time), witnesses said.
One suicide bomber blew himself up in the courtroom of lady judge Kulsoom Azam, injuring her and several others.
Officials at Lady Reading Hospital said they had received four bodies and 30 injured.
After visiting the complex, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain confirmed that suicide attackers were involved in the assault.
Though initial reports had suggested up to 10 terrorists were involved in the assault, Additional Inspector General of Police Masood Khan Afridi told reporters the attack was carried out by two suicide bombers.
One suicide bomber blew himself in the courtroom of Additional District and Sessions Judge Kulsoom Azam while the other was shot dead by police, Afridi said.
The judicial complex was cleared after a search operation by security forces.
Afridi denied media reports that the attackers had taken some hostages.
"This was not a security lapse as the attackers were intercepted by three policemen, who were injured in the exchange of fire," Afridi said.
Witnesses said the militants holed up in the complex and exchanged fire with security forces for some time.
A large contingent of policemen and army soldiers surrounded the judicial complex at Khyber Road, which is a high-security area.
Four policemen, several lawyers, Judge Kulsoom Azam and a lady special prosecutor were among the injured.
They were taken to the nearby Lady Reading Hospital, where officials described the condition of two persons as serious.
Footage on television showed people fleeing in panic from the complex as soldiers took up positions on a nearby road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon