Militants warn Imran Khan against supporting polio campaign
Islamabad: A Pakistani militant outfit on Wednesday said it will "turn their guns on" Imran Khan for pledging his support to a polio campaign.
"Our focus is Nawaz Sharif`s government," Ansar ul Mujahideen said. But "we will turn our guns on" Khan if polio campaign continues, Newsweek Pakistan reported.
The banned groups had earlier carried out attacks on anti-polio workers. Cricketer-turned-politician Khan had earlier today appealed to the Pakistani Taliban and others not to attack polio workers and pledged to spearhead the vaccination campaign in the restive northwest that continues to be in the grip of the crippling disease.
Pakistan is one of only three countries in the world where polio remains endemic, and efforts to stamp it out have been hit by opposition from Islamist militants and attacks on vaccination teams.
Militant groups have termed the polio campaign as an attempt to "sterilise Muslims" besides being used for spying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death