Millions of Pakistanis face food insecurity: PM
Islamabad: Millions of Pakistanis were facing food insecurity due to high food prices, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said and added that the government was aware of the challenge.
"The food insecurity caused by high food prices is an issue that, unfortunately, is faced by millions in Pakistan," Gilani said in his message on the occasion of World Food Day observed every year on October 16.
He said the day "highlights the growing trends of high food prices and its impact on the most vulnerable".
Pakistan has a population of about 180 million.
"Pakistan has experienced high volatility in food prices, particularly in the last two years, after the devastating floods that have washed away standing crops, eroded thousands of acres of agricultural land and critically impacted the farming community in the country," Associated Press of Pakistan quoted him as saying.
The Prime Minister said: "In such critical times, the objective of achieving food security assumes greater importance and urgency."
"It is absolutely essential that at the national and provincial level, sensitivity and awareness about food security gets translated into implementation of policies that would address shortage of food, particularly in the more vulnerable segments of the population where women and children in the rural areas suffer the most from malnutrition," he added.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Watch: Akshay Kumar's impressive martial arts session with IPS officers!
- Vinod Kambli defends Salman Khan, advises Gautam Gambhir not to 'become so gam'
- Philippines` Aquino vows to `neutralise` Abu Sayyaf kidnappers
- JEE Main Result 2016 declared; check on cbseresults.nic.in, jeemain.nic.in
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari equals world record in recurve event