Ministry attacker was outsider: Afghan Army
Kabul: The Afghan military says it has confirmed that the man who attacked the country`s Defense Ministry earlier this week was not a soldier, but an insurgent who managed to sneak past the ministry`s security.
The Taliban have claimed that the assailant who opened fire inside the ministry compound on Monday was an army officer working as a sleeper agent for the insurgency.
But Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi said on Wednesday the attacker was an outside infiltrator. Azimi didn`t say how this was determined.
The Afghan government collects biometrics data on new recruits, but is just beginning to collect it for longer-serving soldiers.
Azimi also says an officer wounded in the attack has died in the hospital, raising the toll in the attack to three killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'