Ministry attacker was outsider: Afghan Army
Kabul: The Afghan military says it has confirmed that the man who attacked the country`s Defense Ministry earlier this week was not a soldier, but an insurgent who managed to sneak past the ministry`s security.
The Taliban have claimed that the assailant who opened fire inside the ministry compound on Monday was an army officer working as a sleeper agent for the insurgency.
But Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi said on Wednesday the attacker was an outside infiltrator. Azimi didn`t say how this was determined.
The Afghan government collects biometrics data on new recruits, but is just beginning to collect it for longer-serving soldiers.
Azimi also says an officer wounded in the attack has died in the hospital, raising the toll in the attack to three killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her