Ministry attacker was outsider: Afghan Army
Kabul: The Afghan military says it has confirmed that the man who attacked the country`s Defense Ministry earlier this week was not a soldier, but an insurgent who managed to sneak past the ministry`s security.
The Taliban have claimed that the assailant who opened fire inside the ministry compound on Monday was an army officer working as a sleeper agent for the insurgency.
But Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi said on Wednesday the attacker was an outside infiltrator. Azimi didn`t say how this was determined.
The Afghan government collects biometrics data on new recruits, but is just beginning to collect it for longer-serving soldiers.
Azimi also says an officer wounded in the attack has died in the hospital, raising the toll in the attack to three killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India