Misappropriation over Rs 36 mln in Hajj arrangements: Malik
Islamabad: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Monday said there was misappropriation of over Rs 36 million
(1.6 million Saudi riyals) during Haj arrangements for
Giving details of the corruption scam that has rocked
the federal government in the National Assembly or lower house
of parliament, Malik said several accused, including former
Haj Director General Rao Shakeel, had been arrested and an
investigation was underway.
He emphasised the need for improving the Haj policy in
light of "grey areas" identified by the Interior Ministry.
There is a need to keep check on travel agents who
only operate during Haj season, he said.
The Interior Ministry has launched an anti-corruption
campaign and sacked several officers for their involvement in
corruption, Malik said.
He, however, described Transparency International`s
survey of Pakistan as "substandard" and said the
organisation`s recent report "was not based on facts".
Responding to observations made by Leader of
Opposition Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan regarding US interference
in Pakistan`s internal matters, Malik asked the House to
constitute a committee to frame rules and regulations for
dealing and working with foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet