Missing Canadian-Indian woman was killed in Pakistan
Lahore: A Canadian woman of Indian-origin, distantly related to Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, was killed and her body dumped in a canal by a man who owed her money, Pakistani police investigating her disappearance since last August informed a court here Wednesday.
The police also told the court that they had written to Interpol to seek the arrest of the main accused in the case, who was a German of Pakistani-origin and had fled to Germany.
The case of Rajvindar Kaur Gill was taken up by Badal with Chief Minister of Pakistan`s Punjab Shahbaz Sharif during his visit here last year, after her father sought his intervention.
Pakistani police today informed the court that Gill, who was reported missing since August, had been killed soon after she arrived in the city.
City police chief Aslam Tareen disclosed this in the Lahore High Court, which had sought a detailed report on the matter in response to a petition filed by Rajvindar`s father Sikandar Singh Gill.
As Tareen informed the court about the murder of Gill, her father went into shock.
Tareen said police had arrested a suspect ? Hafiz Shahzad Hussain ? who had confessed that he killed Rajvindar along with his cousin Shahid Ghazanfar, a German Pakistani.
Police are yet to trace Gill`s body though a search is being conducted on basis of information provided by Hussain.
"The main accused, Shahid Ghazanfar, has fled to Germany and we have written to Interpol for his arrest," Tareen said.
With tears in his eyes, the father Sikandar Gill later told reporters outside the courtroom that he wanted justice from the Pakistani court.
"I will not return (to Canada) unless the body of my daughter is recovered," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees