Missing Canadian-Indian woman was killed in Pakistan
Lahore: A Canadian woman of Indian-origin, distantly related to Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, was killed and her body dumped in a canal by a man who owed her money, Pakistani police investigating her disappearance since last August informed a court here Wednesday.
The police also told the court that they had written to Interpol to seek the arrest of the main accused in the case, who was a German of Pakistani-origin and had fled to Germany.
The case of Rajvindar Kaur Gill was taken up by Badal with Chief Minister of Pakistan`s Punjab Shahbaz Sharif during his visit here last year, after her father sought his intervention.
Pakistani police today informed the court that Gill, who was reported missing since August, had been killed soon after she arrived in the city.
City police chief Aslam Tareen disclosed this in the Lahore High Court, which had sought a detailed report on the matter in response to a petition filed by Rajvindar`s father Sikandar Singh Gill.
As Tareen informed the court about the murder of Gill, her father went into shock.
Tareen said police had arrested a suspect ? Hafiz Shahzad Hussain ? who had confessed that he killed Rajvindar along with his cousin Shahid Ghazanfar, a German Pakistani.
Police are yet to trace Gill`s body though a search is being conducted on basis of information provided by Hussain.
"The main accused, Shahid Ghazanfar, has fled to Germany and we have written to Interpol for his arrest," Tareen said.
With tears in his eyes, the father Sikandar Gill later told reporters outside the courtroom that he wanted justice from the Pakistani court.
"I will not return (to Canada) unless the body of my daughter is recovered," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror