Mitchell, Warsi visit relief camp in flood hit northwest
Peshawar: UK`s Minister for Development
Andrew Mitchell and Conservative Party chairperson Sayeeda
Warsi on Wednesday visited a relief camp in northwest Pakistan and
urged the world community and donor agencies to help people
cope with the situation arising from the unprecedented floods.
Mitchell and Warsi, while talking to the media, said
the floods and torrential rains had wreaked havoc in Pakistan
and appealed to the world community to rise to the occasion.
The Britain government has announced donations of 50
million dollars and will make more pledges.
"I have come to here to express solidarity and to
assess the damages," Mitchell said.
Britain stands by the people in Pakistan at this
critical hour and the British government will extend maximum
possible support to them, he said.
Mitchell promised to seek more funds at the UN General
Assembly`s special session to be held tomorrow to discuss the
floods in Pakistan.
The world community will be apprised about the level
of destruction and damages at the meeting, he said.
Warsi said Britain-based Pakistanis have collected 13
million pounds for flood victims and appealed to people of
other communities to donate generously.
The rehabilitation of flood-hit areas will be a
continuous process based on a sustained and long-term
strategy, she said.
The international community should continue to
support the calamity-hit South Asian country and the 20
million people displaced by the floods, they said.
Later, the visiting British delegation met flood
victims in Pir Sabak area on the bank of the Kabul river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda