Mitchell, Warsi visit relief camp in flood hit northwest
Peshawar: UK`s Minister for Development
Andrew Mitchell and Conservative Party chairperson Sayeeda
Warsi on Wednesday visited a relief camp in northwest Pakistan and
urged the world community and donor agencies to help people
cope with the situation arising from the unprecedented floods.
Mitchell and Warsi, while talking to the media, said
the floods and torrential rains had wreaked havoc in Pakistan
and appealed to the world community to rise to the occasion.
The Britain government has announced donations of 50
million dollars and will make more pledges.
"I have come to here to express solidarity and to
assess the damages," Mitchell said.
Britain stands by the people in Pakistan at this
critical hour and the British government will extend maximum
possible support to them, he said.
Mitchell promised to seek more funds at the UN General
Assembly`s special session to be held tomorrow to discuss the
floods in Pakistan.
The world community will be apprised about the level
of destruction and damages at the meeting, he said.
Warsi said Britain-based Pakistanis have collected 13
million pounds for flood victims and appealed to people of
other communities to donate generously.
The rehabilitation of flood-hit areas will be a
continuous process based on a sustained and long-term
strategy, she said.
The international community should continue to
support the calamity-hit South Asian country and the 20
million people displaced by the floods, they said.
Later, the visiting British delegation met flood
victims in Pir Sabak area on the bank of the Kabul river.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!