Mob ransacks house of Pak boy accused of blasphemy
Karachi: A mob led by Islamic clerics ransacked the home of a teenage Christian boy in Pakistan`s Karachi city and set fire to furniture and some other household articles after he was accused of sending text messages with blasphemous content, a media report said on Thursday.
The incident occurred in the staff colony of the Sui Southern Gas Company, a middle-class neighbourhood in Gulshan-e-Iqbal area, yesterday.
The mob ransacked the Christian boy`s home and set furniture on fire.
Police said the boy was accused by local residents of sending text messages containing blasphemous content to employees and officers of Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) at the residential-cum-office compound, the Dawn newspaper reported.
After the news circulated among residents of the colony, a mob attacked the quarter of 16-year-old Ryan Stanten.
His mother, Rubina Bryan, works as a superintendent in Sui Southern Gas Company.
The boy and his mother were unharmed as they had left the quarter the previous night due to tension in the area.
The SMS was allegedly sent to local residents on Tuesday night.
"Had they not left the house, the situation could have been really bad," a senior police officer told the daily.
The mob ransacked the house and set fire to household articles, including a washing machine and a fridge, after bringing them out on the road.
The protesters shouted slogans against the Christian family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority