Mob ransacks house of Pak boy accused of blasphemy
Karachi: A mob led by Islamic clerics ransacked the home of a teenage Christian boy in Pakistan`s Karachi city and set fire to furniture and some other household articles after he was accused of sending text messages with blasphemous content, a media report said on Thursday.
The incident occurred in the staff colony of the Sui Southern Gas Company, a middle-class neighbourhood in Gulshan-e-Iqbal area, yesterday.
The mob ransacked the Christian boy`s home and set furniture on fire.
Police said the boy was accused by local residents of sending text messages containing blasphemous content to employees and officers of Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) at the residential-cum-office compound, the Dawn newspaper reported.
After the news circulated among residents of the colony, a mob attacked the quarter of 16-year-old Ryan Stanten.
His mother, Rubina Bryan, works as a superintendent in Sui Southern Gas Company.
The boy and his mother were unharmed as they had left the quarter the previous night due to tension in the area.
The SMS was allegedly sent to local residents on Tuesday night.
"Had they not left the house, the situation could have been really bad," a senior police officer told the daily.
The mob ransacked the house and set fire to household articles, including a washing machine and a fridge, after bringing them out on the road.
The protesters shouted slogans against the Christian family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list