Mosque bombing: Pak Taliban claim responsibility
Peshawar: The Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have claimed responsibility for a devastating suicide attack on a mosque in Pakistan’s Khyber Agency that killed over 50 people.
In a statement, TTP spokesman Muhammad Talha said that the blast was carried out in retaliation to local resistance against the militants, a newspaper reported.
The blast was directed against the Kukikhel tribe, whose members had recently killed two militants in Jamrud teshil of Khyber Agency.
Talha claimed that the tribesmen had also destroyed three Taliban hideouts in the area.
A teenage suicide bomber had blown himself up at Jamia Masjid in Jamrud area after the Friday prayers, killing over 50 people and injuring over 120.
A tribal elder in Jamrud area said that Taliban fighters had come to the mosque over a week ago to recruit new members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets