Mother of Fonseka’s son-in-law arrested, later granted bail
Colombo: The mother of former Army General
Sarath Fonseka`s son-in-law was today arrested after CID
recovered a large sum of foreign currency from her bank
account, but was later released on bail by a local court here.
Asoka Tillekaratne, mother of Danuna Tillekaratne was
arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) after
they searched her bank account following a tip-off yesterday
and recovered the money worth Rs 75 million.
It included USD 5,27,000, 100 Pounds Sterling and 15
million Sri Lankan Rupees and was recovered from the account
in presence of Asoka, police spokesman Preshantha Jayakody had
told reporters yesterday.
The Sri Lanka Central Bank Finance Intelligence Unit and
the Exchange Controller has been informed about the recovery
and CID is looking into keeping them under judicial custody,
The Magistrate also ordered Asoka not to leave the
Jayakody said the search had been conducted thoroughly in
accordance to the law and further investigations would
continue as to how such a large sum of foreign currency came
to the country and its purpose.
Tillekaratne was questioned by CID following which her
statement was recorded yesterday. CID also told the court that
it has recorded a statement of Fonseka for Hicorp deal.
The Colombo Fort Magistrate had issued an arrest warrant
for Fonseka`s son-in-law Dhanuna Tillekaratne on Monday in the
multi-million dollar defence scam and refused to grant
Dhanuna Tillekeratne, Fonseka’s son-in-law, has been
accused of "corrupt" arms deals through Oklahoma-based Hicorp
company allegedly owned by him in the United States and has
not been arrested so far.
The company reportedly have supplied arms, ammunition and
other items to the Sri Lanka Army while General Fonseka was
Hicorp allegedly secured contracts despite being the
highest bidder while other companies with lower bids lost.
Earlier, Tillekeratne had said his relationship with
General Fonseka did not affect the bidding of the firm for
tenders with the Sri Lankan Army and the other wings.
The government has claimed that son-in-law of the common
opposition presidential candidate has earned profits from arms
procurements of the Army during the war with the LTTE.
According to reports, the then Army Commander Fonseka
could approve procurement of equipment below the value of Sri
Lankan Rs 25 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?