Motorcycle bomb kills 8 in Afghan market
Kunduz: A motorcycle bomb exploded in a market in a remote town in northern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing 8 people and injuring 18 others, a district official said.
The bombing in Imam Saheb district in Kunduz province was
similar to previous Taliban attacks, the authorities said but
could not immediately say who was responsible.
"A bomb placed in a motorbike detonated in the middle of
a bazaar. Eight people -- two local police and six civilians
-- were killed and 18 others, all civilians, were injured,"
said Imam Saheb district chief Mohammad Ayoub Haqyar.
A pro-government militia commander who was among the dead
and was the likely target of the attack, he added.
"It`s too early to say what the target was but we believe
Commander Abdul Manan could have been the target. He was
killed," said Haqyar, adding that an investigation into the
attack was under way.
The hardline Islamist Taliban were in power in Afghan-
istan from 1996 until 2001 when they were ousted in a US-led
invasion after the September 11 attacks in the United States.
They have since mounted an increasingly bloody insurgency
to regain power and drive out tens of thousands of foreign
troops now based in Afghanistan to protect the Western-backed
government of President Hamid Karzai.
Militants have been increasing attacks over the last nine
years and 2010 is currently the deadliest for the 150,000-
strong international force, with more than 630 foreign
The Taliban have been widely using improvised bomb
attacks, which are responsible for the bulk of the military
deaths as well as scores of civilian casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!