Motorcycles may be banned for two days in Karachi
Karachi: As part of its pre-emptive measures to deal with terrorist threats during the ongoing Muharram, Pakistan`s Sindh government has banned motorcycle riding here this weekend.
The Sindh government was told Tuesday by the Sindh High Court that it can impose a ban on motorcycle riding on holidays but not on working days.
The 9th and 10th of Muharram are declared public holidays by the government in the country as Shia Muslims take out processions and mourn the incident of Karbala.
The provincial government had moved a petition in the High Court requesting permission to ban motorcycle riding for 10-days during the period of Muharram for security reasons and because of terrorism threats.
But the court said it could only do so on holidays and not on working days as a large number of the population uses this mode of transport.
Chief Justice Musheer Alam made this statement while hearing the case and deeming the government`s request unjustifiable.
The court decision came just two days after a bomb blast outside a Imambargha in Abbas Town in Gulshan-e-Iqbal town which left three people dead and nearly 16 injured.
The bomb was planted on a motorcycle parked close to the Imambargah where Shia Muslims gather for prayers for Muharram.
Sindh Additional Chief Secretary (home) Waseem Ahmed and Advocate General Sindh Adul Fateh Malik were present in court where the chief justice heard their arguments.
After hearing the arguments, Justice Alam deemed the ban unjustified and said the relevant authorities take better security measures as it was their responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi