Motorcycles may be banned for two days in Karachi
Karachi: As part of its pre-emptive measures to deal with terrorist threats during the ongoing Muharram, Pakistan`s Sindh government has banned motorcycle riding here this weekend.
The Sindh government was told Tuesday by the Sindh High Court that it can impose a ban on motorcycle riding on holidays but not on working days.
The 9th and 10th of Muharram are declared public holidays by the government in the country as Shia Muslims take out processions and mourn the incident of Karbala.
The provincial government had moved a petition in the High Court requesting permission to ban motorcycle riding for 10-days during the period of Muharram for security reasons and because of terrorism threats.
But the court said it could only do so on holidays and not on working days as a large number of the population uses this mode of transport.
Chief Justice Musheer Alam made this statement while hearing the case and deeming the government`s request unjustifiable.
The court decision came just two days after a bomb blast outside a Imambargha in Abbas Town in Gulshan-e-Iqbal town which left three people dead and nearly 16 injured.
The bomb was planted on a motorcycle parked close to the Imambargah where Shia Muslims gather for prayers for Muharram.
Sindh Additional Chief Secretary (home) Waseem Ahmed and Advocate General Sindh Adul Fateh Malik were present in court where the chief justice heard their arguments.
After hearing the arguments, Justice Alam deemed the ban unjustified and said the relevant authorities take better security measures as it was their responsibility.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference