Motorcycles may be banned for two days in Karachi
Karachi: As part of its pre-emptive measures to deal with terrorist threats during the ongoing Muharram, Pakistan`s Sindh government has banned motorcycle riding here this weekend.
The Sindh government was told Tuesday by the Sindh High Court that it can impose a ban on motorcycle riding on holidays but not on working days.
The 9th and 10th of Muharram are declared public holidays by the government in the country as Shia Muslims take out processions and mourn the incident of Karbala.
The provincial government had moved a petition in the High Court requesting permission to ban motorcycle riding for 10-days during the period of Muharram for security reasons and because of terrorism threats.
But the court said it could only do so on holidays and not on working days as a large number of the population uses this mode of transport.
Chief Justice Musheer Alam made this statement while hearing the case and deeming the government`s request unjustifiable.
The court decision came just two days after a bomb blast outside a Imambargha in Abbas Town in Gulshan-e-Iqbal town which left three people dead and nearly 16 injured.
The bomb was planted on a motorcycle parked close to the Imambargah where Shia Muslims gather for prayers for Muharram.
Sindh Additional Chief Secretary (home) Waseem Ahmed and Advocate General Sindh Adul Fateh Malik were present in court where the chief justice heard their arguments.
After hearing the arguments, Justice Alam deemed the ban unjustified and said the relevant authorities take better security measures as it was their responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off