MPs join securitymen to fight Taliban militants
Kabul: Unfazed by the brazen attempt by heavily-armed Taliban gunmen to storm Parliament on Sunday, MPs were not found wanting and they joined security forces in firing on the militants.
Parliament was in session when the gunmen targeted it in the deadly wave of attacks in Kabul and three other eastern cities.
Mohammad Naeem Lalai, an MP, was quoted as having said that some lawmakers including him and his bodyguards fought the militants who had seized a six-storey building in front of Parliament. The gunmen stopped firing at Parliament after a brief while after being engaged by security forces.
The United States embassy in Kabul was meanwhile in lockdown as explosions and gunfire rocked the capital.
All staff were accounted for and safe, with no reports of injuries, spokesman Gavin Sundwall said.
Taliban meanwhile said the wave of attacks marked the start of the rebels` "spring offensive."
According to Zabihullah Mujahed, the Taliban spokesman, the attacks were also a message to the Kabul government and its Western military backers "who believed we will not launch a spring offensive."
"The Kabul administration and the invading forces had said some time ago that the Taliban will not be able to launch a spring offensive. Today`s attacks were the start of our spring offensive," he was quoted as having said from an undisclosed location.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case