MQM chief Altaf revokes resignation within hours
Islamabad: The founder of Pakistan`s Muttahida Quami Movement(MQM) Altaf Hussain, who had resigned as party head early on Sunday morning, took back his resignation on insistence of his party workers.
After Hussain announced his resignation, hundreds of MQM workers gathered at Nine Zero in Karachi `s Azizabad area, requesting him to take back his resignation.
After receiving emotional appeals by party workers, Altaf retracted his decision of leaving the party.
Moreover, the party had announced that its workers would stage a sit-in in front of the British High Commission to protest against unnecessarily dragging Hussian in the investigation of Imran Farooq`s murder.
According to Dawn News, Dr Imran Farooq was one of the founding members of the MQM, then known as the Mohajir Qaumi Movement.
Farooq, who had also been living in exile in London since 1999, was stabbed to death on his way home from work in Green Lane on Sept 16, 2010 outside his residence, the report said.
Hussain had earlier said that he was voluntarily handing over all authority and responsibilities as party leader to the MQM`s Rabita (Coordination) Committee.
According to the report, speaking to media via telephone from UK, Hussain said Scotland Yard police had raided his residence some days ago and had seized some material, following which he decided to voluntarily step down as party leader on moral grounds.
Hussain said he would not seek legal counsel or a solicitor but would plead his case himself if he were to be produced in court in the Farooq murder case, and would accept any decision by the courts, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees