MQM chief Altaf revokes resignation within hours
Islamabad: The founder of Pakistan`s Muttahida Quami Movement(MQM) Altaf Hussain, who had resigned as party head early on Sunday morning, took back his resignation on insistence of his party workers.
After Hussain announced his resignation, hundreds of MQM workers gathered at Nine Zero in Karachi `s Azizabad area, requesting him to take back his resignation.
After receiving emotional appeals by party workers, Altaf retracted his decision of leaving the party.
Moreover, the party had announced that its workers would stage a sit-in in front of the British High Commission to protest against unnecessarily dragging Hussian in the investigation of Imran Farooq`s murder.
According to Dawn News, Dr Imran Farooq was one of the founding members of the MQM, then known as the Mohajir Qaumi Movement.
Farooq, who had also been living in exile in London since 1999, was stabbed to death on his way home from work in Green Lane on Sept 16, 2010 outside his residence, the report said.
Hussain had earlier said that he was voluntarily handing over all authority and responsibilities as party leader to the MQM`s Rabita (Coordination) Committee.
According to the report, speaking to media via telephone from UK, Hussain said Scotland Yard police had raided his residence some days ago and had seized some material, following which he decided to voluntarily step down as party leader on moral grounds.
Hussain said he would not seek legal counsel or a solicitor but would plead his case himself if he were to be produced in court in the Farooq murder case, and would accept any decision by the courts, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information