MQM leader shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: A Muttahida Qaumi Movement leader contesting Pakistan`s upcoming polls was shot dead by Taliban fighters in southern Sindh province on Thursday, becoming the first candidate to die during the election campaign.
Two armed men riding a motorcycle shot at Fakhrul Islam, 46, outside his home in Halanaka area of Hyderabad city this afternoon.
Islam was hit by several bullets in the head and stomach and died instantly, police officials said.
The gunmen escaped after the attack.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan claimed responsibility for the attack in phone calls to media groups. He warned that the militants would carry out more such attacks.
Ihsan said the killing of Islam was part of the Taliban`s "war" against secular parties like the MQM, Pakistan People`s Party and Awami National Party.
He claimed these parties were responsible for the "genocide" of tribal people and Muslims while in power for the past five years.
Islam had filed nomination papers to contest polls to both the Sindh Assembly and the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
The Taliban have threatened to attack election rallies of the MQM, PPP and ANP for opposing the militants. Though the Taliban have frequently targeted ANP leaders and workers in the northwest, they have rarely claimed responsibility for attacks in Sindh province.
In January, suspected Taliban fighters shot dead MQM legislator Manzar Imam along with two police guards and a driver in Karachi.
The top leadership of the MQM deplored the killing of Islam and said it was the duty of the caretaker government to provide security to candidates contesting the May 11 polls.
The MQM called for the immediate arrest of Islam`s killers and demanded effective measures for protecting candidates and political workers engaged in election activities.
Caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso directed authorities to beef up the security of all candidates participating in the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked