MQM to join PPP-led government in Pakistan`s Sindh province
Karachi: In a major political development, the MQM is expected to join the ruling Pakistan People`s Party in Sindh province in the next 48 hours.
The MQM (Muttahida Qaumi Movement), the single largest party in Pakistan`s biggest city, parted ways with the PPP-led government at the centre and in Sindh few months before the May 11 general elections last year.
After the polls, the MQM preferred to sit in opposition.
But a senior MQM official today said the situation had changed after several meetings and discussions between the central leaders of both parties in Karachi, Dubai and London.
"The PPP has accepted many of our demands and we might formally join the government by Wednesday," the official told
Another party source said the decision to join the Sindh government was taken after approval from MQM chief Altaf Hussain and former President Asif Ali Zardari who heads the PPP.
"The MQM is expected to have four to five ministers sworn in and a few advisors in the provincial cabinet," the source said.
The MQM has been at loggerheads with the PPP government for months now. Last week, it created ruckus in the Sindh assembly over the disappearance and alleged extra-judicial killings of MQM workers in the city.
Sindh information minister Sharjeel Inam Memon had hinted at MQM`s possible switch to the treasury benches.
"The MQM has been an ally to the PPP in the past and there would be no harm if they once again decide to join the treasury benches," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter