Muhammad Yunus brings `social business` to Haiti
Port-au-Prince: Nobel peace laureate Muhammad Yunus is introducing a concept called "social business" to Haiti as it tries to rebuild after last year`s earthquake.
The economist says he wants Haiti to have businesses that solve problems.
The Bangladesh native is a celebrity of sorts in development circles. He pioneered the idea of making "micro" loans to some of the world`s poorest people as a spur to economies and anti-poverty efforts.
Yunus began a two-day visit to Haiti on Thursday. He recently joined an economic advisory board for Haiti along with former US president Bill Clinton and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note