Mukhtaran Mai gang rape: 13 released after acquittal
Islamabad: Thirteen men who were acquitted by the Supreme Court in the Mukhtaran Mai gang rape case have been released from the Multan central jail, a media report said.
The men were released on Tuesday.
Dawn said that the men raised slogans against Mukhtaran Mai after they were released.
Mukhtaran Mai became a symbol of the country`s oppressed women after her gang rape on the orders of a village council in 2002.
An Anti-Terrorism Court, while acquitting eight of the 14 accused in the case, had awarded death sentence to the remaining six -- of whom five were acquitted by the Lahore High Court which also reduced the death sentence of the sixth accused, Abdul Khalique, to life imprisonment.
A three-judge bench of the Supreme Court confirmed the Lahore court order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Treat wounds at home by following these easy steps
- US Democrat lawmakers resort to sit-in; House erupts in chaos
- JKBOSE class 10 re-evaluation result 2015 declared; check Jkbose.co.in
- Ten things women hate about men!
- MHADA lottery 2016: Now, book your dream home in Mumbai, MHADA online form available here